Jonathan E. Magen on 1 Dec 2008 14:48:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] RSS readers and Googling locally

I, too, have become a fan of Google Reader. I appreciate it because it
has flexible categorization options and gives me the option to view
only the headlines. Additionally, one of the features I use most is
the "email" link on the bottom of each entry that lets you send it off
to anyone in your Gmail contacts book. My only criticism of this is
that those emails don't seem to show up in your sent mail (though this
may be configurable).

If you're into the offline usage thing, it was the first major app to
use Google Gears and it does a fantastic job of downloading content to
be viewed when you don't have an network connection. I used to travel
lots, so this was a big sell for me on top of the convenience of a
web-app.

All in all, I like it very much and would be curious to read your reactions.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:29 AM, Andrew Keyes <akeyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> This summer, I was on a similar quest.  After I tried a number of
> various ones, I settled on Google Reader.  The major reasons I settled
> on it included the ability to have my feeds (and read status) on any
> computer (work, home, laptop), and its integration with other services
> that I already used.  If you choose to use it, I highly recommend the
> "Better GReader" Firefox addon.
>
> Google Reader allows you to star posts, which gives them a higher
> ranking when you search past posts, and gives you the opportunity to
> list just the stared ones.  You can also tag the feeds with as many tags
> as you like.
>
> Andrew
>
> jeff wrote:
>> I used to use this killer RSS reader under [a different OS] that did
>> everything but buy me chocolate.  Since I don't use that OS much
>> anymore, I forget the name (RSS Bandit?).
>>
>> By comparison, most of the native RSS readers suck, to use a technical
>> term.  It might also be what I'm used to that's skewing my perception
>> (moreso than normal).
>>
>> The only one I like so far is Akregator.  It's a bit difficult to
>> describe what I want but I suspect I would like a more robust back end
>> (contrary to my real-life leanings).
>>
>> Akregator will allow one to tag a post IMPORTANT.  I'd like to be able
>> to assign my own tags (and more than one).  Perhaps to do some more
>> flexible management of content. [that's back end, right?]
>>
>> Does anybody know of one that will do this?
>>

>> The second item on our hit parade is a device/appliance/software to
>> crawl the corporate intranet and provide a Google-like service.  Google
>> has signaled their willingness to *sell* us an appliance for this but I
>> don't exactly trust that particular vendor.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't know what this is called.  I did some searches
>> under content/knowledge management and came up dizzy.  Some of that
>> software looked like it required its own team to implement and run.
>>
>> In terms of ease of use, is there any hope for an open source solution
>> or am I better off just letting them go Google?
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> -=-=-
>> ... My other outputs are EL84's
>> * TagZilla 0.066 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org