bergman on 16 Dec 2008 12:57:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] rhel proxy

In the message dated: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:57:58 EST,
The pithy ruminations from Ron Kaye on
<[PLUG] rhel proxy> were:

=>
=> I HAVE BEEN GIVEN THIS REQUEST:

NO NEED TO SHOUT.

=>
=> We have a rack of servers that are isolated from the world and only
=> accessed thru a VPN server.
=> We need to be able to get out to the internet to pull patches, etc

>From where? From specific sites (ie., redhat.com), or from the internet as a
whole? What's your [client's] budget?

=> so I requested internet access from one IP that we'll use as a proxy
=> server for the rest of the kit.
=>
=> It is running RH and I'd like socks proxy or equivelent set up.

Running licensed, supported RHEL? Have you contacted RedHat?

It's unclear to me from your question whether you're trying to set up a general
purpose proxy server to provide internet access to the "rack of servers", or
whether you're seeking to proxy access to RHEL patches and updates.

For OS and distribution patches, have you considered the RH Satellite or
RHN Proxy server products...they are designed to do just what you want.

=>
=> ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A PATH FORWARD?

Perhaps you should get in touch with a company that's a global leader in
providing technology enabled business solutions and services. You know, a
company that does consulting, systems integration, and outsourcing.

Oh, wait, that's what CSC does.

=>
=> rk
=>
=> This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please

In that case, I'm not sure that I can reply.

=> delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in
=> delivery.
=> NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to
=> any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement
=> or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such
=> purpose.

Mark "feeling grouchy after dealing with a CSC-outsourced helpdesk" Bergman