edmond rodriguez on 27 Dec 2008 10:44:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] meeting followup: ndiswrapper working with 2.6 Kernel

Thanks!  No, I did not know they were there.   I had once spent a half hour on the broadcom site looking for drivers.  I finally wrote them a mail asking where they had drivers (and I was only looking for the Windows drivers!).  I got a generic reply saying I had to get my drivers from the vendor of my computer, which I was able to do.    I had learned a while back that broadcom would not release source and did not support Linux regarding the wireless cards.  I guess I was misinformed or the Linux community is making even more recent progress.

These errors look similar to the compile errors of ndiswrapper with the newer kernel.  An extra parameter was added to some functions.

/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:951: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_point'
/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:959: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
/

I wonder if something could have been done to get around this problem, sort of like a C++ overloaded function, to make things backward compatible.   Or what could be nice too would be some compiler directive that when the error occurs an intellibile one or two line statement would be printed explaining the change and very briefly what it is about.    This surely will cause problems for many people.

I guess the kernel is still written in "C", so this could not be done.  I actually don't remember how to print a message via the compiler, though I seem to recall in a limited way, one could do this.

I'm not complaining, just thinking out loud, I guess.

/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:951: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_point'
/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:959: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:959: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:959: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:959: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event'
/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:967: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:967: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type
/home/edmondrod/Desktop/bc/src/wl/sys/wl_iw.c:967: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast
/