john on 28 Dec 2008 18:50:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] [OT] NYTimes article: What Carriers Arent Eager to Tell You About Texting

Its an interesting article, but I personally have no problem with rates of
text messaging (per msg) going up even if the "cost of operation" for the
carrier has not risen.

To be honest, I believe that the carriers have raised per use rates in
order to push people towards unlimited or bulk messaging plans. And its
that migration away from per use rates that has triggered an explosive
growth in text messaging.

Besides, this is capitalism. Prices are set to trigger all sorts of
behavior. Government should not be telling ATT to lower text messaging
rates just because they can from a financial standpoint. In fact, its only
logical that if demand for text messaging is high, then the rates should
go up.

-John