Bill East on 31 Dec 2008 10:26:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Perils of building from source?

On 12/31/08, Eric <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
Casey:

The thing that annoys me in the compile-from-source option is that I
don't know until I start what libraries and headers I need.  I compile
until there is an error, try to figure out what's missing that caused
the error and install that, then re-try.  It's similar to diagnosing
medical conditions like Dr. House :-)

As a longtime Slackware user I can testify that it's some of the best troubleshooting practice out there. If you can build some applications under Slackware you can debug anything.

You are in a maze of twisty dependencies, all alike.

Happy New Year, PLUG. I'm going to try to make the next West meeting my first.

Bill