Elizabeth Krumbach on 4 Jan 2009 13:59:48 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Dell Mini-9 segregated Ubuntu repo

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> I thought I read someplace (maybe the Dell Desktop Linux list?) that
> they have their own repo so they can compile optimized for the mini-9
> CPU, while the generic Ubuntu repos are generic i386 (or AMD 64,
> depending, I guess).

Right, so like the eeepc, the mini9 uses the intel atom cpu, which
technically is a different architecture from i386. In fact, when I
installed skype via dpkg it complained and I needed to
--force-architecture to get it to install the i386 package.

Since the architectures are compatible I don't believe this is a very
good reason (and haven't confirmed they did actually recompile
everything). It would be interesting to see some benchmarks to prove
me wrong though, maybe people running i386 version of ubuntu rather
than the stock really are crippling their machines in some small way.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com