Matthew Rosewarne on 7 Jan 2009 13:16:54 -0800

[PLUG] Monitoring I/O by process

Quite a while ago at the central meeting, someone asked whether it was
possible to find out which processes were thrashing a machine's disk.  The
answer was that it was not possible to actually know which process was using
the disk due to the way the kernel manages I/O.

However, there apparently has been a way to monitor I/O by process since Linux
2.6.20 (CONFIG_TASKSTATS & CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING).  The "iotop" tool uses
this information to display how much I/O each process is using.  I find it
quite useful in finding resource hogs, since I'm more often limited by my disk
than my CPU.