Stephen Gran on 14 Jan 2009 11:30:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] X.org reallocate an oversize screen (was Changing the video card...)

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 09:43:54AM -0500, JP Vossen said:
>  > Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:08:58 +0000
>  > From: Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net>
>
> [...]
>  > Modern xorg can figure out a basic configuration for you on it's own
>  > and doesn't need an xorg.conf unless you want to do something
>  > interesting like multihead or preallocate an oversize screen (for, eg,
>  > hotplugging external monitors).
> [...]
>
> Interesting.  Can you elaborate on that a bit?  The Dell D630 NVidia
> laptop I use for presentations has issues with this.  The NVidia tool
> either auto-detects the external monitor/projector and Just Works or it
> doesn't and only gives me possible resolutions of 640x480 and lower, and
> nothing I've found will make it work in that case.
>
> I know the NVidia proprietary blob throws a wrench in the works (Work
> machine, came with XP, what can I tell you), but it seems like this
> might help.

On my laptop that has a VGA port, I use:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Builtin Default intel Screen 0"
    Device  "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
    Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
          Depth           24
          Virtual         2880 1000
          Modes           "1440x900_70.00"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Where the 1440x900_70.00 is a manually defined mode for the normal
display, but that's not really relevant - the important bit is the
definition for the virtual size.  That allows me to plug a monitor in
and dynamically extend my desktop onto it with xrandr.  Without this, I
could clone my desktop and have twin view working, but not a whole extra
desktop space, which is usually what I want.

I have no idea how well that works with the nvidia stuff - this is an
intel chipset here.

Ciao,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Every time I look at you I am more      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | convinced of Darwin's theory.           |