jeffv on 16 Jan 2009 13:04:25 -0800

[PLUG] speaking of closed-source video drivers...

I have been menaced, tortured, mocked, and virtually waterboarded by the combination of the open source ATI video driver and the proprietary ATI video driver for my Xubuntu laptop.  The more cruel of the two is definitely the proprietary ATI video driver (but we'd expect that here).

All I wanted was one of those stupidly simple little things: to plug an additional monitor into my laptop and use both of them as one large desktop.  I ran right into what I refer as the Problem With Linux.

Read about it, if you care, at the address below.
Post is called "ATI is a PITA with Linux, which is Lacking"

http://www.lockergnome.com/leftystrat/2009/01/15/ati-is-a-pita-with-linux-which-is-lacking/

--
ThermionicEmissions  -  the blog
http://www.lockergnome.com/leftystrat