JP Vossen on 25 Jan 2009 14:12:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] back-hauling or not (was VPN issues)

 > Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:42:32 -0500
 > From: Robert Spangler <mlists@zoominternet.net>
 > Subject: Re: [PLUG] VPN issues
 >
 > If you require [a split tunnel] then you should first talk it over
 > [...] with your [boss] and company security before implementing this.

I can't implement it.  It's a unilateral policy from on-high.  All I can
do it work around it so that I can actually get my work done.

 > If this is your company then good luck.

Nope.  It's a 100K+ person multi-national.  ('Nough said.)

 > I can tell you if I were the client I would require you to not expose
 > my network no matter how good/safe you believe you are.
 >
 > Just because something is easy for you doesn't make it right or safe.

This kind of black and white attitude is why everyone hates the InfoSec
guy (which I am one of, as I noted).  The point is not that I think I am
safe or that it's easier, the point is that this "security" policy
PREVENTS ME FROM DOING ANY WORK.  As any security person knows, security
is a trade-off and is never an absolute.  Preventing work from getting
done is a bad trade-off from a business perspective and in the Real
World(tm) the business case is going to trump the security case,
especially when the security case (exposure) is arguable at best.

Having said all of that, I appreciate people looking out for and being
aware of security issues.  It's just not always as clear cut as we'd all
  like...  And back-hauling is a particular pet-peeve of mine, as I've
run into similar issues lots of times before and have found this
particular cure to be worse than the disease.

Later,
JP