Bill East on 30 Jan 2009 08:25:21 -0800

[PLUG] idle curiosity - ghost process

So I'm messing around and I fat-finger:

root@flows:/etc# grep ETH0 &

Sure enough:
root@flows:/etc# ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
10903 pts/3    00:00:00 bash
10906 pts/3    00:00:00 grep
10912 pts/3    00:00:00 ps

So now I've got a process running grep, looking for input like (as my
favorite musician says)
"like Bernie in his dream
A displaced person in some foreign border town
Waiting for a train part hope part myth
While the station changes hands"

(sorry) and I get to wondering, what could I do with this? Could I
potentially pipe output to it, or is it unreachable? I guess it would
still write to stdout, so anything it did output would still come up
on my tty. Are there any tips or tricks for dealing with forked
processes, or should I just kill -9 it and get on with my work?