Fred Stluka on 11 Feb 2009 20:28:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Slightly OT:Preferred web dev platform?

Floyd,

Check out the sites that graph such trends over time:

    http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends
    http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobtrends/home

Personally, I've been a Java/Web developer for 10 years, and loving
it.  Ruby (or Groovy or JRuby) is catching on, but I prefer the
compile time checking and tool support of strongly typed languages
over scripting languages, especially when developing mission-critical
and/or enterprise-wide applications.  For thoughts on how to ease
into Java, what pieces to learn and why, see:
    http://bristle.com/Tips/Java.htm#easing_into_java
--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!

Jon Bringhurst wrote:
As much as I'd like to say python or ruby, most employers seem to be
looking for J2EE developers. Fire up Axis or Tomcat and hack away for
the *man* my friend. ;-)

-Jon