zuzu on 14 Feb 2009 11:41:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] "pooled" storage

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is more of a theoretical question.
>
> The advantage of pooled storage is it makes more efficient use of
> physical storage versus logical volume model. I was wondering if there
> is a filesystem technique with symbolic links which can emulate a
> pooled storage model similar to ZFS.

Yeah, I wish Linux had ZFS support for real instead of through FUSE
too.  (I think that's what you're saying, anyway.  Years ago Sun
promised to _eventually_ GPL OpenSolaris including ZFS; they were busy
GPL'ing Java first though.)

Infrant/Netgear Network Attached Storage (NAS) has X-RAID, and the
Drobo has BeyondRAID, which are like RAID-5 but dynamic to number of
disks.  I think the Infrant/Netgear ReadyNAS actually runs Linux, so
I'd be curious if X-RAID has been ported out into mainstream
distributions.

There's also Venti/Fossil from Plan9 that I think has been ported to Linux.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_(file_system)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9P