James Barrett on 17 Feb 2009 04:37:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Public Service Announcement (Really)

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
> My advice don't waist your time with 802.11b. Stick with just 802.11g support and later. People are going to have spend a little money as far as I'm concerned to use the service anyway. I was looking at some of the quotes on the website like "The internet is a path out of poverty". If this true, and the internet is not just a path to free pr0n then wouldn't you make internet access a priority in your life. $20/month for pay to play services like xDSL and cellular don't seem like a real hardship to me. I mean it's less than a dollar a day for access to virtually the sum of humankind's knowledge; a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

That is so insightful.  Say nothing about the families who scramble to
get $10 together in order to renew their drivers licenses, or who
can't afford to pay their gas bills because the <$1000 they get in
charity and welfare every month is not enough to pay to heat their
run-down under-insulated homes with the almost-broken and terribly
inefficient furnace.  For them to pay $20 for Internet access is a
breeze, right?  Sure, and they should have no problem finding
state-of-the-art e