Kam on 20 Feb 2009 04:32:51 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Bootable USB + Emulator support + Persistance + Encryption

-----Original Message-----

From:  Lee Marzke <lee@marzke.net>
Subj:  [PLUG] Bootable USB + Emulator support + Persistance + Encryption
Date:  Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:14 pm
Size:  1K
To:  Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List<plug@lists.phillylinux.org>

OK,

I've got a nice fast 32GB USB thumbdrive and would like to have a
portable Linux
environment.

I'd like to either boot the environment or be able to run it in a
emulator (QEMU/Vmware)
from Windows without reboot.   Persistance required, and whole disk
encryption would be nice
but I can't seem to find how to do all (4).

Ubuntu can create a bootable USB, but no QEMU or encryption.
QEMU recipies don't generally support encryption.
If I install in an encrypted LVM setup,  I don't see how to support an
emulator.

I tried QEMU/ KQEMU with  Ubuntu 8.10 and it was unbearably slow in
Vista. ( Core 2 Duo with 4G )
is this normal ?    I know Vmware Player would run it at almost normal
speed.

Has anyone come up with a general portable USB solution ?

--

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM

--- attachment lee.vcf ---

--- attachment noname 2.txt ---

Fedora's livecd tools package supports creating an encrypted home with persistence and non-encrypted OS on usb. I use it now for my primary linux, booting the usb.

>From the XP platform, I use virtualbox and boot the same usb.

I had to create the usb from Fedora though, the windows gui tool does not support encrypted persistence.

--
Kam
http://kamsalisbury.com