kamiza103 on 25 Feb 2009 06:29:49 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: cell tower near school

This part is interesting: "... handset transmit power is governed primarily by RF path loss between the handset and the serving base station; the lower the path loss, the lower the handset transmit power. Thus, by having a serving cell tower close by, a cell phone user actually may reduce any risks associated with RF exposure."

Jon Bringhurst <jon@bringhurst.org> wrote:
Maybe the cell tower runs linux. I can only hope.

>From ...

"One way to do that might be to put some hard numbers behind our
general assertions that cellular towers pose no risk. As a worst-case
scenario in terms of exposure to RF radiation, consider a cell tower
located only 30 meters (about 100 feet) away, and transmitting a total
of 500W effective radiated power (ERP). Of course, if you are only 30
meters from the transmitting antennas, you also are likely well below
their horizontal beam centers even if severe downtilt is used. But for
the sake of our worst-case analysis, let's assume that the full 500W
is aimed right at you. In that case, the RF power density where you
are standing would be 4.4 microwatts per square centimeter. For
comparison, the FCC's mandated power density limits for continuous
uncontrolled RF exposure by the general public are 600 and 1,000
microwatts per square centimeter for 900 and 1900 MHz signals,
respectively. Even in our highly unlikely worst-case scenario, RF
exposure levels would be well under 1 percent of the maximum deemed
safe by the FCC.

Of course, analysis based upon government regulations won't satisfy
everyone, so here's another way to look at it. VHF TV broadcasts often
transmit at power levels exceeding one megawatt ERP from antenna
towers well within 1 kilometer of residential areas. At a distance of
1 kilometer, a 1-megawatt ERP transmission would result in a power
density of just under 8 microwatts per square centimeter, still nearly
twice our worst case value from a nearby cell tower. Yet nobody seems
worried about health risks from VHF TV broadcasts."

-Jon