Alex Launi on 26 Feb 2009 15:36:27 -0800

Re: [PLUG] X on Ubuntu 8.10

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
I always thought the standard place for X is tty7, and init ran on tty8.
Seems like on my Ubuntu, tty7 is where init runs and tty8 is where X runs.  Is
this a change, or is there something wrong with my system?

Something is wrong with your system. The only distro as far as I know to mess with what tty X runs on is Fedora 10 who put it on tty1 to give a flickerless boot process. Every Ubuntu I've ever used (6.06 - 9.04) has had X on tty7. I think there are some errors that can cause X to start on a tty other than 7, but I forget what they are; ask Google.

--
--Alex Launi