Casey Bralla on 5 Mar 2009 16:30:40 -0800

[PLUG] Need Help with Barcode Scanner

I just bought a cheap barcode scanner from New Egg.   It is a USB scanner and
works fine with Windows (no drivers)

I'm trying to get it to work with Gentoo.   So far, no go.

I added a section in my xorg.conf file to setup a second keyboard (and it
works fine with a USB keybard (my normal keyboard is a ps/2 type).

But the scanner scans the barcode, then halts, apparently because the USB data
is not being sucked into the PC like a keybaord stream.

LSUSB sees the scanner, and dmesg recognizes it, but I can't get it
dump "keystrokes" to standard input.

Anuybody got any ideas?

Here's the relevant sections from my xorg.conf file:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "scanner0" "CoreKeyboard"                # Scanner
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "scanner0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Here's and excerpt from lsusb

M5 / # lsusb
Bus 008 Device 009: ID 1130:0001 Tenx Technology, Inc.

Here's the relevant dmesg entries:

usb 8-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1130, idProduct=0001
usb 8-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 8-2: Product: USB-TMU-V3
usb 8-2: uevent

--

Casey Bralla