jeff on 22 Mar 2009 16:15:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] 'logcheck'

JP Vossen wrote:
> I have said this before but I am a huge fan of the Debian/Ubuntu
> implementation of logcheck.  I am also not aware of any other major
> distro that makes using logcheck so "built-in" and easy.

Well, as easy as a CLI log checker is going to be.
I hate to sound like a Windows or Mac geek but I'd still prefer a more
graphical/elegant way of doing it.

> even did a (cheesy) Windows port of it:
> * http://www.jpsdomain.org/windows/winlogcheck.html

I want to take a (cheesy) look at it.

> But the best about the Debian/Ubuntu implementation is that almost all
> of the patterns you need are already Just There.

This is really cool for those of me who don't have regex skills and
would rather not develop them at the moment.  Every time I try, someone
gets pregnant (at work, fortunately) and there's other work to do.

> PS--Maybe someone should put together a Debian sysadmin tips preso, with
> logcheck, fcheck, etckeeper, etc.

cool idea.

--
ThermionicEmissions  -  the blog