Casey Bralla on 28 Mar 2009 13:32:49 -0700

[PLUG] Autoloading Modules

What's the current system for automatically loading modules at startup?

It used to be that we'd put a list of modules in the /etc/modules.d/kernel 2.x
file.  Now I see that there is a /etc/modules.conf file, and I think that we
now use some weird files under /etc/modprobe.d/.

The modprobel.d files all have a confusing (to me) structure with the
word "alias".  For example, my /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia file looks like:

# Nvidia drivers support
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195

# To tweak the driver the following options can be used, note that
# you should be careful, as it could cause instability!! For more
# options see /usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-180.37/README
#
# !!! SECURITY WARNING !!!
# DO NOT MODIFY OR REMOVE THE DEVICE FILE RELATED OPTIONS UNLESS YOU KNOW
# WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
# ONLY ADD TRUSTED USERS TO THE VIDEO GROUP, THESE USERS MAY BE ABLE TO CRASH,
# COMPROMISE, OR IRREPARABLY DAMAGE THE MACHINE.
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileMode=432 NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0
NVreg_DeviceFileGID=27 NVreg_ModifyDeviceFil
es=1

The "options" stuff looks failry normal, but how would I build a new file for
a new module?

Can someone point me to a good source for this?
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence