JP Vossen on 15 Apr 2009 12:01:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Update: Verizon FiOS

 > Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:26:32 -0400
 > From: Eric <eric@lucii.org>
 >
 > Tuesday I dug around in the Actiontec menus and viola... there is a
 > DMZ option! I configured the Linux firewall to have a static IP of
 > 192.168.1.101 and connected it to the LAN I/F of the Actiontec router.
 > On the router I told it to put that IP in the DMZ.
 >
 > It works! I can ssh into it from the outside which is Very Nice  :-)

Does anyone know if firmware updates affect that?  Even if normal
updates don't, I'm never trilled giving someone else that much control
over my network.

I started to write the bit below about it, then remembered that it was
my Vonage box, not my FiOS box, that had/has this problem...  I solved
it by sticking Vonage on its own DMZ instead of in-line with the gateway
like they "recommend."

<start obsolete stuff, for reference>
I seem to recall something about if the [wrong device here] got a
firmware update, anything you customized would be gone.  Even if true
you may not care too much, since you can keep a record of what you did,
or possibly a config backup.  The show stopper for me was if they did
that while I was traveling, nuked my port-forward, and locked me out of
remote access to my LAN.
</end obsolete stuff, for reference>

Something to think about just in case...
JP