Douglas Muth on 18 May 2009 13:37:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] kill wont kill

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Neill R <nrdevelopment@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't reboot this box, running rhel 4.4 kernel 2.6.9-42.
>
> the problem is with SNMPD, it's trying to read a CIFS mount point that got
> taken offline
>
> #//10.5.3.6/MMPA\040Label\040Print\040Files /mount/MMPA-PS cifs
>
> We already tried mounting /mount/MMPA-PS to another CIFS share, no luck.
> Anyone know why kill wont kill?

What kill signal are you sending it?  If TERM isn't working, try HUP.
You could also check the manpage for SMNPD and see what signals it
accepts.

If you want to be brutal, you could always kill with signal 9 (as
signal 9 cannot be caught by the process being killed), but that's
usually an option of last resort, since the program being killed will
have no opportunity to do proper cleanup, close open files, etc.

-- Doug