JP Vossen on 19 May 2009 12:45:55 -0700

[PLUG] PLUG W "intro to git" follow up

Great info on git from Kyle.  Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~
ToC:

etckeeper
bazaar
Edutainment Software (Kyle wrote Gperiodic)
SOT: Software testing

~~~~~~~~~~
I mentioned (quotes from the Jaunty apt-cache):
	etckeeper - store /etc in git, mercurial, bzr or darcs
"The etckeeper program is a tool to let /etc be stored in a git,
mercurial, bzr or darcs repository. It hooks into APT to automatically
commit changes made to /etc during package upgrades. It tracks file
metadata that version control systems do not normally support, but that
is important for /etc, such as the permissions of /etc/shadow. It's
quite modular and configurable, while also being simple to use if you
understand the basics of working with version control."

I find the basic etckeeper documentation a tad lacking, but here is a
series of blog posts that are interesting from an Ubuntu perspective.

http://fnords.wordpress.com/2009/02/23/etckeeper-chronicles-1/
The etckeeper chronicles, part 1
Posted February 23, 2009
"One thing I have been working on in this cycle is beginning to
integrate an easy solution to put /etc under revision control. I have
found etckeeper, by Joey Hess, to be the right tool for the job. The
version in Jaunty will feature better support of bzr as the underlying
VCS, and a couple of improvements I pushed upstream. In this series of
articles, I’ll present an overview of how this solution works in Jaunty
and the future planned (post 9.04 release) improvements."
[...]
"One feature I recently pushed back upstream is sudo integration: the
username shown (thc) is the one of the user running the ’sudo etckeeper’
command, not an undetermined ‘root’."
[...]

http://fnords.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/etckeeper-chronicles-2/
"...Daily autocommits..."
http://fnords.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/etckeeper-chronicles-3/
http://fnords.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/etckeeper-chronicles-4/

~~~~~~~~~~
We also talked about Bazaar (bzr), which I personally find a bit more
user-friendly than git *, but they are pretty similar.  And thanks to
Kyle I now know that git is less hostile than last time I looked.  Just
for fun (yeah, I need to get out more):
	Etch:	bzr     0.11-1.1
	Lenny:	bzr     1.5-1.1
	Hardy:	bzr     1.3.1-1ubuntu0.1
	Jaunty:	bzr     1.13.1-1
	http://bazaar-vcs.org/	1.14.1 / 1.15rc1

I just tested and it looks like bzr uses a repo incremented revno (like
SVN), rather than the SHA-1 hashes that git uses.  I get that git's way
is both more universal and more secure, but the arbitrary nature of the
revision ID's just bothers me.  It's probably just my CVS/SVN mind-set,
but I like ordered numeric IDs.

* "Version control that doesn’t make your eyes bleed"
http://blogs.operationaldynamics.com/andrew/software/version-control/git-is-like-cvs.html
And "Bazaar vs Git" but be aware that this is heavily biased to bzr and
incorrect about git in places (e.g. git now has windows support)
http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsGit

~~~~~~~~~~
We also mentioned my "Free Edutainment Software" page at
http://www.jpsdomain.org/linux/edutainment.html and Kyle pointed out
that he actually wrote Gperiodic (http://gperiodic.seul.org/credits/),
which I hadn't noticed before.  Cool!

Finally, and arguably semi-on/off-topic, but it came up at dinner after
the meeting; for anyone who a) enjoys "Demotivator" type posters and
especially b) anyone involved in software or other testing:

http://sebastian-bergmann.de/archives/754-Motivation-for-Testing.html
--or--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastian_bergmann/2282734669
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastian_bergmann/2291013416/