Ugarit Ebla on 1 Jun 2009 06:59:12 -0700

[PLUG] [Fwd: [Dclug] The Recession is over for Geeks!]

Thought this might be of interest to PLUG readers

-------- Original Message --------
From: Alan McConnell <alan@patriot.net>
To: dclug@calypso.tux.org
Cc: linux-pe@tux.org, ma-linux@tux.org
Subject: [Dclug] The Recession is over for Geeks!

At least so says the NY Times.  Here is some verbiage from that
august source: "The government's urgent push into cyberwarfare
has set off a rush among the biggest military companies for
billions of dollars in new defense contracts.

"The exotic nature of the work, coupled with the deep recession,
is enabling the companies to attract top young talent that once
would have gone to Silicon Valley. And the race to develop
weapons that defend against, or initiate, computer attacks has
given rise to thousands of "hacker soldiers" within the Pentagon
who can blend the new capabilities into the nation's war
planning."

I am so excited.  For I have long felt threatened by the ferocious
assaults of the massed al Qaeda geeks,  attacking us from their
fastnesses deep inside the Hindu Kush.  Now battle is finally
joined!  We can and will strike back!, disrupting the denials of
service and the memory overflows with which ObL and his minions
have long assaulted us.

And a final consideration.  If we are bound and determined to spend
our money foolishly, I am happy to see it go to all my friends and
colleagues inhabiting these E-lists.   Just please don't forget your
old comrades as you rake in the moolah.  I and doubtless others
will still need help with fonts and GIMP and emacs and Postscript
and all my/our other mundane troubles.  As you go to war, don't
forget the civilians left behind!!

Best wishes to all,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
      Memory says, "I did that."  Pride replies, "I could not have