Art Alexion on 4 Jun 2009 08:27:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] open source "hosted exchange"

On Thursday 04 June 2009 10:40:56 am zamoose@gmail.com wrote:
> Question:
> By "hosted", do you mean "someone else hosts and administers the service"?
> If so, why not go with Google Apps for your Domain? Not F/OSS, certainly,
> but it Just Works(tm) most of the time and has support for mobile devices,
> shared calendars, collaborative doc editing, Jabber chat, etc., all with
> the now-familiar Google UI.

That is exactly what I mean.  They are on Google Apps now.  This is a mental
health/medical office.  Most of the clients are covered by Medicare, old age,
but mostly disability.  They were recently audited by one of the payors (I
don't know which one) and Google was not deemed HIPAA-compliant for security
and privacy reasons.

Supporting this office is not my job so much as it is a smaller part of my job.
For that reason, I don't want to take on the responsibility of managing the
groupware system.