Keith W. on 16 Jun 2009 11:24:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Wireshark ate itself

Is there a question or is this a rabble? :)

My assumptions based upon what I see here is that you're trying to
capture too much at once.

But yes, if you're not telling wireshark to dump it's buffer after X
bytes, it just eats memory (unless you tell it to roll over when full).
If you ran out, and had to kill the process, I'm pretty sure it's gone.

Broad filters on network links with high traffic will own most systems'
resources.  Specific filters  -- during capture -- using wireshark
usually lessens the pain.  I do remember being some controls within the
application where you can limit wireshark's memory utilization behavior

That's been my experience at least.

Btw, First time posting on this list - Hello List.

--Keith