David A. Harding on 22 Jun 2009 14:36:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Unwanted laptop suspend

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 03:56:42PM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
> Note the ACPI stuff in the log below though.

All the log messages you pasted were from the kernel.  In that case,
ACPI refers not to a userspace application or daemon but to a kernel
subsystem.

> $ grep -i sleep syslog

I suggest you re-run grep with -C10 to get some context. The suspending
program should make a syslog syscall immediately before calling the S3
sleep ioctl.

> none [of the log entries] is really jumping out at me

The program may flag the syslog syscall with a facility of LOG_DAEMON,
so the log entry might be in /var/log/daemon.log. It may even keep its
own log, in which case your only hope is grep -r.

If you don't find anything in any log, I suggest you install the GNU
[process] accounting utilities. (Ubuntu package: acct.) The next time
you resume your computer after installing them, run the command lastcomm
to get a listing of every command executed on the computer -- it's the
ultimate log and no process can hide from it without subverting the
kernel. You should have no problem tracking down the culprit than.

    Note: acct takes up a small bit of extra resources, so you'll
          want to uninstall or disable it after you finish your
          detective work.

If you find the suspending program doesn't make a log entry at all, I
highly suggest you report a bug. As you said, the logs are the first or
second thing we tell people to check.

Good luck,

-Dave
--