Gordon Dexter on 23 Jun 2009 18:14:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hibernation Question

Depending on exactly how you do the hibernate, you might not need to
have an 8GB swap at all.  First of all, it's possible to do it using a
file instead of a partition, check out uswsusp to do that.  Second of
all, some suspend to disk programs use compression (as well as possibly
encryption) so the size on disk isn't the same as the size in RAM.
Third, suspend to disk software may also skip parts of ram such as disk
caches, which can be a good chunk of your RAM.

If you do want to suspend to swap, I'd suggest a bigger partition, but
you should be fine following the uswsusp directions for hibernating to a
file.

--Gordon