LeRoy on 3 Jul 2009 09:48:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [semi-ot-hardware] compaq power brick

Art Alexion wrote:
> Suddenly my Compaq Evo N610c stopped charging.  The transformer block for this
> unit has no light to indicate power, so I have no way of knowing whether the
> problem is at the transformer or the charging system in the laptop itself.
>
> The age of this thing is borderline so it is worth buying a used or
> reconditioned charger on ebay, but now worth spending a lot.

Hi Art,

Do you have a multimeter?

Just check the voltage output of the transformer,  Most likely, it is
not the transformer that has died, but the battery.

Another test would be to see if the laptop will boot while connected to
the transformer.  If it does, that is an indication that the transformer
is good but the battery had died.

> My problem is that I don't have another  transformer to test the unit so that
> I can isolate the problem.  Does anyone have a transformer compatible with
> this laptop so that I can run a short test?  I can come to a location
> convenient to you, and it should only take a few minutes.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
		       Cell:   267-307-3527

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/