Randall A Sindlinger on 14 Jul 2009 13:10:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] EMI shielding on the power line

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 03:17:30PM -0400, TuskenTower wrote:
> I happened to see this sensationalist piece about eavesdropping
> keystrokes over the ground power line.
>
> I was wondering if powering a computer with a UPS or a power line
> conditioner would eliminate this problem.  How would something like
> this affect a laptop or anything with a transformer in the middle.  My
> knowledge of electronics involved is minimal, which is why I'm asking.
>
> Amul

I think you can take off the tin foil hat.  :-) This was done with a PS/2
keyboard.  The electronics in USB are different enough that, if the
attack could still work, it would need to be largely re-engineered.

Furthermore, as you suspect, anything that isolates the source current
from the computer circuitry in some way (UPS, power brick, etc) would
sharply decrease the fluctuations if not eliminate them all together.

-Randall
 (but who would listen to a Chemical Engineer?  :-)