sean finney on 15 Jul 2009 08:27:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] favorite admin tools

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:12:22AM -0400, Claude M. Schrader wrote:
> 2) telnet {ip} {portnumber}
> I couldn't begin to count the number of times I have had to telnet to port
> 80, 25, or 143 to troubleshoot an overbearing firewall, misconfigured
> service, or norton/macafee security suite type app. Eventually you will
> know the SMTP protocol well enough to send an email by manually echoing
> the commands into telnet.

i prefer netcat myself which is more or less standard on new linux systems.
you can do the same thing "nc host port", but quite a bit more as well,
like:

 * do a simple connection test and return the result in $?
 * UDP
 * listen for connections instead of making them

	sean