James Barrett on 26 Jul 2009 09:00:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hard Drive warranty RMA

Nobody really needs to protect data from WD.  The real worry involves
refurbished drives.  Some RMA'd drives are refurbished and resold, so
my personal worry would be more along the lines of whether or not some
random end-user will get the sensitive data.  Perhaps WD performs a
low-level format, or otherwise does some other QA procedure that might
just happen to destroy the data in the process, but I have no clue.
I've never examined the contents of a refurbed drive, fresh out of the
packaging.

I seem to remember someone mentioning that some drive companies will
accept the breadboard or the faceplate.  Remove the circuit board or
the faceplate from the drive and send it, and they will send the
replacement drive.  Can anyone echo this?

--
James Barrett