JP Vossen on 18 Aug 2009 13:33:57 -0700

[PLUG] Scala

Topical, since scala came up briefly last night at dinner after the PLUG
W meeting.  Anyone know anything about it and want to do a preso?

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/08/18/1725217/Scala-a-Statically-Typed-Functional-O-O-Language
Technology: Scala, a Statically Typed, Functional, O-O Language on
Posted by kdawson on Tuesday August 18, @02:00PM
from the means-scaleable dept.

inkslinger77 notes a Computerworld interview with Martin Odersky on the
Scala language, which is getting a lot of attention from its use on
high-profile sites such as Twitter and LinkedIn. The strongly typed
language is intended to be a usable melding of functional and
object-oriented programming techniques.

	"My co-workers and I spend a lot of time writing code so we wanted to
have something that was a joy to program in. That was a very definite
goal. We wanted to remove as many of the incantations of traditional
high-protocol languages as possible and give Scala great expressiveness
so that developers can model things in the ways they want to. ... You
can express Scala programs in several ways. You can make them look very
much like Java programs which is nice for programmers who start out
coming from Java. ... But you can also express Scala programs in a
purely functional way and those programs can end up looking quite
different from typical Java programs. Often they are much more concise.
... Twitter has been able to sustain phenomenal growth, and it seems
with more stability than what they had before the switch, so I think
that's a good testament to Scala. ... [W]e are looking at new ways to
program multicore processors and other parallel systems. We already have
a head start here because Scala has a popular actor system which gives
you a high-level way to express concurrency. ... The interesting thing
is that actors in Scala are not a language feature, they have been done
purely as a Scala library. So they are a good witness to Scala's
flexibility..."
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/315254/-z_programming_languages_scala?fp=4194304&fpid=1

Later,
JP