Michael Bevilacqua on 21 Aug 2009 06:59:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Slow POP3/SSL downloading from Google Mail via Fetchmail

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Michael Bevilacqua <michael@bevilacqua.us> wrote:
I currently run Fetchmail scripts to regularly archive Google Mail user's email to one of my storage servers. The process runs very smoothly and solidly. However, it runs very slowly. I was wondering if anyone on the list has had similar experiences with Fetchmail and Google and if there may be a way to speed this up a bit?  Or, should I be trying out alternatives to Fetchmail like getmail or mpop?

And of course, moments after I sent this, I read through `apt-cache search fetchmail` again and see this:

retchmail - Stupidly fast POP3 retriever

"Retchmail is the world's most stupidly fast POP3 retriever.  It supports
 simultaneous POP3 and POP3S mail retrieval from multiple sites to multiple
 mailboxes.  Retchmail is good for quick retrieval of e-mail if you do not
 need the features of other, more comprehensive, retrievers like Fetchmail."

I'll have to give this one a shot.

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua
michael@bevilacqua.us