Lee Marzke on 21 Aug 2009 11:21:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] GIT

Ron Kaye Jr wrote:
> i am off the ground
>
> my developers have windows clients
>
> i have found cygwin with git plugin
> AND
> eclipse with git plugin
>
> think i am on the right track?
>
> checking today
>
> Ron Kaye Jr
> 914-7294734
>
> Aug 21, 2009 09:42:54 AM, plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> <mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>
>     Ron,
>     I have a few links on delicious that might be useful,
>     http://delicious.com/tuskentower/git
>
>     The Pro-GIT book has a server section, but I haven't read it to
>     evaluate it yet.
>     http://progit.org/book/ch4-0.html
>
>     HTH,
>     Amul
>
>     On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Ron Kaye
>     Jr<rekaye1005@verizon.net <mailto:rekaye1005@verizon.net>> wrote:
>     > I have been assigned git INSTALL/CONFIG/ADMIN on our Linux boxes.
>     > Before i start the ordeal with the volumes online,
>     >
>     > does anyone have any experience with this, that can provide
>     quick basics?
>     >
>     > i am always looking for a reader's digest approach when i start.
>     >

You mention Linux boxes (servers), but your developers on all on Windows ?

Can you explain what your need Git  for  ?   Are you developing
Linux code or Windows code ?

If you have to use Windows,  why not use a SCM that has a native Windows
client ?

Many systems have been covered recently at PLUG.     Git was designed
strictly, in
my opinion for Linux kernel development,  on Linux only-platforms.   It
was not
designed for cross-platform support,  so why are you trying to force
this solution
to work in your environment ?

Regards,

Lee