Casey Bralla on 22 Aug 2009 17:00:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Foreboding behavior on IDE controller

On Saturday August 22, 2009 3:08:40 pm Art Alexion wrote:
> My motherboard support a bunch of SATA drives and one IDE controller.  The

> When I pulled the card, it booted fine.  The card was dusty, so I cleaned
> it, and put it back.  Tried it again and it booted fine without pulling any
> of the drives.  I have booted it several times since, and no problem.
>
> Freak one time issue?  Card going? Drive going? Guesses?

"Just a moment.  Just a moment.  I've just picked up a fault in the AE-35
unit.  It's going to go 100% critical within 72 hours." - HAL 9000

I don't think there is any way to be sure other than:

1.  Stressing the unit and forcing any incipient failures
2.  Letting time go by

As others have recommended, I'd be sure to have backups of data on the drives
and be ready to replace the whole shootin' match.

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence

http://www.NerdWorld.org