Art Alexion on 26 Aug 2009 16:14:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Verizon blocking port 25

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 18:54:46 jeff wrote:
> Randall A Sindlinger wrote:
> > about the capabilities of users.  I work in a school of engineering; one
> > would expect the users here to be more savvy.  Time has proven that
> > acceptance into a college program has no correlation with user
> > capability.  :-(
>
> I may have something for you: the more degrees, the more helpless the
> user. (my experience)

I think helplessness is often feigned.  I had a user who couldn't figure out
that his monitor wasn't working because it wasn't plugged in (electrically).
Within 15 minutes after I "helped" him plug it in he was circumventing our
firewall and streaming video.  We have IT employees who couldn't figure out
how to do that in a day, let alone 15 minutes.