Randall A Sindlinger on 27 Aug 2009 12:11:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Verizon blocking port 25

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:10:15AM -0400, John Kreno wrote:

>  My arguments for a non filtered service are probably more valid for the
> tier 1 provider. But I still would like to live in a world where it is the
> case for all ISP's.

John,

Sorry, I think there's something I just don't get here.  Why, in this day
and age, do you want to live in a "clear text transmission" world?

As I see it, that's really all that Verizon's change comes down to.
They're disabling clear-text transmissions of username and passwords
when sending authenticated email through their system.

MTA-to-MTA transmission is different; I wouldn't expect a residential
customer to be concerned with that.  I've interpreted this as an issue
of folks using verizon for hosting/sending their mail from a client
(ie, Thunderbird, Evolution, Outlook, etc) running on their home pc,
and that Verizon is saying you've got to change the client to do
smtp over an SSL connection on port 587 rather than unencrypted over
port 25.

I'm all in favor of getting rid of clear-text tranmissions.  They're
a bit harder to debug, but with using openssl commands, it's not so
bad.

-Randall