Eric on 30 Aug 2009 16:11:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] network fixer hat

Richard Freeman wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>> Paul DiSciascio wrote:
>>> You're correct, it's being passed to the default gateway.  You won't
>>> be able to talk to anything in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet without a NIC
>>> on that subnet or a router that knows about it.   Even if you were to
>>> add a route for that subnet to your routing table, the return traffic
>>> won't know how to get back to the 10.10.10.0/24 subnet.
>> This makes sense.  Oddly, I can get return traffic from the ftp daemon
>> Unfortunately, I cannot log in so maybe it's not working as it appears.
>>

> Ok, return traffic back to the single linux host that you've multi-homed
> in this manner will work just fine.  However, that linux box will not
> automatically forward packets on to the other subnet unless you set up
> some netfilter rules.

I'm not sure I want the Linux host to forward those packets, do I?

It's my workstation - I'm simply trying to access a 192.168.x.x device from a
10.10.10.x Linux box (on a 10.10.10.x network) for (ultimately) getting the
192.168.x.x device moved over to the 10.10.10.x network.  If the packets come
back to me I'm very happy AFAIK.

> With appropriate settings you could actually set
> up a router that forwards traffic as appropriate even though it is all
> on the same physical network.

Ok.

> As far as ftp/etc goes - what interface is your server listening on?  If
> the FTP server is bound to 0.0.0.0 then it should get the traffic from
> both subnets (not sure if it matters whether you start the server after
> creating the interface).  However, if your FTP server is bound to
> 10.10.10.### then it will not receive traffic from 192.168.x.y since it
> isn't listening on that interface.  There is a chance you might need to
> adjust your FTP configuration.

The ftp server is on the 192.168.1.101 device so as long as I can send packets
to it from the ftp client (on my Linux workstation) then I'm very happy.

> Note that if this same box is also connected to another interface to the
> internet (the box is effectively a router/firewall) be careful about
> binding to 0.0.0.0 since now your FTP server will be open to the
> internet as well (unless you have a netfilter rule set to block traffic
> to that port from outside).

Yes, this all takes place behind a firewall that is in a DMZ on the Verizon
router so as far as I know the only traffic that exists on my network is in one
of the two aforementioned IP ranges.

> Also - if you do have netfilter set up you need to make sure that it
> isn't blocking incoming traffic on the new interface.

Nope, not a problem.

> I've done this trick myself to configure new appliances/etc to get them
> on my normal network without having to reconfigure one of my own
> comptuers to talk to them.

Great.  It's working for me so far although the client device (the 192.168.1.101
Buffalo HD-HG400 NAS) is not remembering it's old password :-(

Thanks.

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas