brent timothy saner on 11 Sep 2009 08:48:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] kernel panic from unknown cause

Per a google search[1], there are numerous things you can do to debug but judging from that pastebin, it's either a bad kernel compile/image or it's bad memory.

Burn a sysresccd[2] and do a memtest (memtest at the boot prompt) and also do a badblocks test to check for bad sectors in your /boot.

Between the two, if everything's clean try booting in single-user mode. If that works, then it's a matter of an init script somewhere sapping all the memory allocation

[1] http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=debugging+kernel+panics&btnG=Search

(lack of GPG due to message sent via blackberry device)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric <eric@lucii.org>

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:23:02
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List<plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: [PLUG] kernel panic from unknown cause

My SME server (based on CentOS 4.5) had a kernel panic at 4:06 this morning.
How do I determine, if possible, what caused the panic?
Based on the first line of the relevant log entries ( SEE:
http://pastebin.com/m67b742be ) it looks like some kind of memory problem.

Log entries prior to this were several hours earlier and appeared unrelated
(DHCP leases)

I'll run memtest this evening when I take the server down.
The system has 384 MB of RAM and a 433 MHz Celeron (yeah, due for replacement
REAL SOON NOW.)  Main disks are 2x 160 GB in a RAID Mirror - operating normally.

Google leads me to the same question in multiple places but no real answers.

TIA

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas