JP Vossen on 29 Sep 2009 12:19:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Software for tracking/calculating/presenting time periods (off-topic)

> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:30:30 -0400
> From: Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com>
>
> We have a project which involves studying fatigue in airline pilots.
> Unfortunately, many pilots are unable to achieve 8-hour sleep periods,
> napping when and where possible.  As a result, they experience multiple
> sleep/wake cycles per day...sometimes several.  With an aircraft having
> two or three flight crew, and looking back 72 hours before an accident,
> it can become complex to work with, understand and present to others the
> time periods involved.
>
> Is there any specialized software for working with time periods?  What
> would it be called?  If anyone has experience with this, please let me
> know (off-list is probably best).

The two things that occur to me are:

1) Using a spreadsheet (like Openoffice.org's Calc, and there, we're
back on-topic :) to create a trivial "bitmap" of sleep/wake times.
Column A is hours 1-72, columns B-? are crew names.  There's an S or W,
or just an X, or whatever, in the cell as needed.  Or S = sleep for
whole hour, s = sleep for half an hour, or whatever.  Or up to four 'X'
for 15-min increments.  Or...or...or...

2) Using some (F/OSS :) project management software set up so that the
dependencies and critical path makes sense.  I know very little about PM
software, so this idea may be infeasible, but it's something that is
geared to charting time periods...

The more I think about this, the more I think some kind of visual
"bitmap" is going to be the way to go.

But I also kind of think you must be re-inventing the wheel.  The FAA &
NTSB must already have some standard way to do this.  Probably any
accident investigation type organization does.  And there must be some
books.  OK, here we go:

http://www.google.com/search?q=accident+investigation+timeline

Lots of stuff on the shuttle, but also a book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=NJVvvIGBsmQC&pg=RA1-PA184&lpg=RA1-PA184&dq=accident+investigation+timeline&source=bl&ots=43BT5sXsMY&sig=oEnF0FsVfIYhsarNSTIcUPyNm3M&hl=en&ei=wlzCSovFPMrh8Qbl_cmDBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CB4Q6AEwBg
Modern accident investigation and analysis - Google Books Result

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Accident-Investigation-David-Owen/dp/1852606142
Amazon.com: Air Accident Investigation (9781852606145): David Owen ...

That last one looks like the--ummm--ticket...  And the "Searches related
to: accident investigation timeline" at the bottom of the Google page
look good too.

HTH,
JP