Carl Johnson on 6 Oct 2009 06:55:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Comcast "CDV" device & firewalls

>>>Thanks for everyone's responses, especially Carl's, which were
enormously helpful.<<<

;-) glad i could help

>>>(cable "modems" aren't really "modems")<<<
can you elaborate?

from what i know of comcast's systems, they are modems in the sense that the downstream data gets modulated onto a 256QAM carrier (mostly by cisco uBR10k's) and sent to the device. the device then DEMODulates the RF carrier and pulls the data out of it and, spits it out the LAN port. on the return the device MODulates the data from the LAN port and puts in onto 16QAM/QPSK carrier and sends it back to the CMTS.

it may not be a "modem" in the sense of dial-up types where the digital data is transformed back and forth into analog signal; but there's still some demodulation/modulation being done.