Eric on 28 Oct 2009 16:27:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] odd bash and/or less behavior

sean finney wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 06:20:44PM -0400, Eric wrote:
>
>> /usr/bin/less index.html
>>
>> ...results in the screen flashing the less "usage" text rapidly by
>> followed by an immediate exit and the screen appears unchanged.
>> (if I wanted "cat >/dev/null" I would have typed: cat > /dev/null !!)
>>
>> Even stranger, after that there is a file in the pwd entitled "erver:"
>> that contains some control characters followed by the less help file.
>>

> do you have any of the LESSFOO variables set? i.e.:
>
> env | grep LESS
>

> 	sean

This is what I found:

LESSOPEN=| /usr/bin/lesspipe %s
LESSCLOSE=/usr/bin/lesspipe %s %s

I have no idea what they are but unsetting them does not change the
behavior.

Also, it happens for my login and root as well.

I'm using xterm via ssh.  Nothing extraordinary about the xterm settings
- seems to work for every other system I log into.

Thanks,
Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas