linc on 9 Nov 2009 15:44:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] cheapass VM host platform?

Ron Mansolino wrote:
> I'm thinking about upgrading on of my boxes at home, and I think I'd
> like to setup a VM host.
> Mostly just to play with, but it'd be nice to back up my cloud-thingy
> and experiment with/on.
> I'm not interested in cherry-picking a bunch of stuff to put together,
> I'd rather just snipe something off of eBay and be done with it.
> what would you suggest (for example, a SOHO client, or for your lab)?
> thx

Well, what I did was go to geeks.com and picked up an inexpensive server
(actually I bought 2 Appro 1U servers).  Right now they have a decent
looking one for $130
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DL140-3R&cat=SYS.  Slap Linux
and VMWare server on there and there you have it.  It'll take you an
hour to get going maybe and works great here, in fact I run my entire
infrastructure on VMs.  You can even run VMWare converter to convert
existing hardware to VMs.

--
-Linc Fessenden