JP Vossen on 13 Nov 2009 00:00:38 -0800

[PLUG] PLUG N follow-ups

Just a few notes from the 2009-11-10 PLUG N meeting.  This got longer
than I expected (who, me?), so:

Contents:
Thanks to Brian
Q&A: Task management/Tools/GTD
UnxUtils for Windows
Logcheck
bash Resources
bash Cookbook Timeline

First, thanks to Brian for a really neat discussion of GIS & tools.
Cool stuff!

As for the task management discussion, I second Kevin on David Allen's
book _Getting Things Done_ (GTD).  That was a great help for me for
paper filing, though I use only hanging folders instead of only regular
ones.  For me that was a lot neater, and you can tweak the label
location to make it easier to find common folders.

GTD's other ideas about task/project management were also very useful.
My problem is my implementation rather than the ideas.  There is a fair
amount of GTD software out there and I've taken brief looks but never
found a killer (small, free, cross-platform).  Lifehacker.com has a
bunch of stuff.

I originally kludged together a system using flat ASCII text files with
a specific header structure and a batch file (yes, a batch file, though
I have a bash version too :) to tie things together.  That worked, but I
found myself losing track of daily/weekly plans.  I added another file
for that, but that became too much of an unorganized mess of a dumping
ground.  Then I found Notecase in the Ubuntu repos.  It's a GTK
cross-platform hierarchical "outliner" (unmaintained upstream, "portable
Windows version available) that stores everything in a single
XML file.  That was helpful and still more-or-less grepable but lead to
even more fragmentation.

I should also mention I added other grepable flat files for things like:
change control, interesting packages/apps, clues, and bug reports I
filed.  That part works great.  As long as you have grep and some other
tools (see below) a tabbed editor and a dual-pane file browser (tabs
help too) you are set.

So my main problem is the I end up with duplicated and fragmented items
in Notecase and the flat files.  I can probably solve that by refining
my process and being more disciplined.  I was just hoping the someone
had found a nicer solution.

Related to tools, my klunky batch file relies on some Unix text utils.
I use and love the UnxUtils, see my post
http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2007-09/msg00280.html for
details.

Central logging and 'logcheck' came up at dinner.  It's in the Debian
and Ubuntu repos, and see
http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2009-03/msg00190.html for
more details and my cheesy Windows port.  See also my article at
http://debaday.debian.net/2009/07/19/logcheck-brilliantly-simple-log-monitoring/.
  The context at dinner was FreeBSD and it looks like its in there too:
http://www.catskillweb.net/kb/article.php?id=064

Finally, also at dinner we were talking about some bash resources, such
as the excellent "Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide" and the official bash
docs and examples, see my book site, especially "The Comprehensive List
of bash Reference Documentation and Examples" at
http://www.bashcookbook.com/bashinfo/.

Questions about the book timeline also came up and we never finished
that conversation.  I thought I'd put the timeline in one of my PLUG
presos (http://www.phillylinux.org/talks.html), but I didn't.  So, if
anyone is interested:

Book Timeline
2004-11-30	JP sends email to O'Reilly and proposes "How about a Bash
cookbook?"
2005-03-24	Mike (editor) gets in touch
2005-04-01	Cameron (author of Learning the bash Shell) is added
2005-05-02	Submit second draft of ToC/outline
2005-0[89]*	More drafts of the ToC/outline
2005-09-13	Carl is added after suggesting the same book
2005-10-01	Start learning/writing in OR wiki
2005-10*	Submit first proposal, various revisions, contract discussion
2005-10-20	Get contract
	Schedule:
	2005-11-30	3 chapters
	2006-01-31	1/2 chapters
	2006-05-31	First draft
2006-02-13	Got first advance check
[big gap due to some technical issues]
2006-07-13	Move to OpenOffice.org Writer and deployed server/SVN
2006-12-18	Submit real first draft (for technical reviewers)
2006-12-18	Ship PDF draft (450 pages) to technical reviewers
2007-01-15	Technical Reviews due, give or take
2007-01-12	Got second/third advance check
2007-02-01	Submit copyediting draft
2007-02*	Copyediting
2007-02-15	Got last advance check
2007-03-14	Draft from copyeditor to production
2007-03-27	Get PDFs for QC1
2007-03-29	Get FedEx of QC1 hardcopy (printouts of the QC1 PDFs)
2007-04-10	QC1 due back to O'Reilly
2007-04-25	Index (post QC1, pre QC2)
2007-05-03	QC2 review (PDF)
2007-05-11	Book goes to the printer!!!

This looks like a long time, but there are a few places where nothing
much happed for various reasons.  I should also mention I loved working
with Mike and O'Reilly and hope to do so again.

Hope some of this is useful,
JP