Jason Stelzer on 16 Nov 2009 11:42:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] To Drop or Not Drop Caches

Yeah, it happens.

I went and looked. You probably want to have a peek at
Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt  and  Documentation/cgroups/memory.txt in
the kernel source to tune memory usage to suit your usage patterns.

The vm stuff is for tuning how the kernel decides to swap stuff at a
system level.

if you're dealing with a program that is causing your apps to get
paged out and making things feel 'slow', then you may want to check
out the cgroups stuff. That'll allow you to control how much memory
greedy apps can get at. That way you can strike a balance that'll keep
you responsive. Think of it like a chroot for ram.

For what it's worth, I stand corrected. Evidently I tend to lower the
swappiness settings. The default here is 60 and I have it set to 10 on
my desktop. I must have done it and forgotten about it.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
> [...]

J.