Douglas Muth on 17 Nov 2009 11:59:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Web Development Tools

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Marc Zucchelli <marcz908@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was wondering what tools people here use for web development. Favorite IDE's, Editors, etc? We mainly use Adobe products for this kind of thing at work and as I just installed openSUSE at home, I'd like to become better acquainted with what I can run under KDE. I'll mainly be writing php, html, javascript, and css. Thanks!

screen is my IDE
vim is my editor
I use git for version control
My language of choice is PHP
My Javascript library of choice is jQuery
If I'm building a full blown app, I write it as a module for Drupal
(it keeps me from having to reinvent the wheel with things such as
user auth, security, logging, etc.)
I use PHPUnit for testing (or Simpletest if I'm in Drupal)
I try to use nginx as my webserver (lower memory usage, higher
concurrency than Apache) with PHP done through FastCGI
I use the Web Developer extension for debugging style issues in FireFox
I use the FireBug extension for debugging AJAX requests

Hope that helps. :-)

-- Doug