bergman on 29 Nov 2009 15:56:43 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast DNS (was Fios users)

In the message dated: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:48:08 EST,
The pithy ruminations from "Brian Vagnoni" on
<Re: [PLUG] Comcast DNS (was Fios users)> were:

	[SNIP!]

=>
=> I can't agree with your more J.P. When I had xDSL, I was typically 2 hops away to my primary dns
=>  server. xDSL ping times to the primary DNS server were around 10ms. With Comcast, it's more lik
=> e 10 - 14 hops, and about 40ms. DNS servers are located in Cherry Hill, NJ somewhere. Why Philly
=>  doesn't seem to rate their own is beyond me.

Interesting....

I'm also on Comcast, and have the DNS servers:

	68.87.64.146
		8 hops, ~24ms

	68.87.75.194
		8 hops, ~22ms

Mark

=>
=> However, I can't complain about the 50m x 10m service I get from them. I'm also almost never dow
=> n. Have more trouble with the TV, than I do with the internet.
=>
=> I also run a caching dns server to speed up dns queries.
=>
=> Brian Vagnoni
=> PGP Digital Fingerprint
=> F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD  BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955