Gordon Dexter on 10 Dec 2009 11:06:45 -0800

Re: [PLUG] LVM partition re-arrangement?

> Or, you can do it from a rescue disk (getting LVM
> running might be tricky that way, however).

I would recommend the System Rescue CD for dealing with LVM.  I've found
it has great support for working with all sorts of hard disk formats and
configurations.  It supports MD-raid, LVM, etc.  I think it also does
dm-raid, and other stuff.  Incidentally, it also has PartImage, which is
a tool for taking an efficient image of a filesystem (e.g. not capturing
unused blocks) and restoring it to a different partition.  It can't
resize the filesystem--you have to restore to a same-size or larger
partition, then manually grow the FS afterwards, but if you want to make
sure you have everything, exactly the same, it's great.

--Gordon