Gordon Dexter on 20 Dec 2009 11:01:00 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OpenSuse Firewall Monitor

I just tried Sguil last week and yes, it is.  I barely got it running
using a pre-made BSD vmware image of an older version, from 2005.  It's
a snort-based monitor, but it also requires data feeds from several
different processes, so you have to install and configure those, and
make sure they're funneling data to Sguil, etc.  And then you have to
install TCL, because the GUI (and parts of the backend) are written in
TCL.  Also, it hasn't been updated in almost 2 years, so a lot of the
documentation is outdated.  I found a tutorial for installing the GUI
frontend on Windows and it looked very simple, but because the base
software (e.g. TCL) has changed so much since then, it was very
painful.  I can give you more details about what I did if you want, but
frankly I don't suggest you use it.

I ended up just using BASE, which displays Snort alerts in a web
interface.  It doesn't have the correlation power that Sguil does, but
unless you really need that I'm thinking just go for Snort/BASE.

--Gordon